The house was moved off the Te Horo site when the Kapiti Expressway between Peka Peka and Otaki was being developed
It was moved in 1
piece with garage attached and moved into storage for a time before travelling
again to its new site
The four bedroom house
was manouevered carefully to avoid road signs and parked cars and ended up at its
new site in Otaki where it was put onto a wooden floor that had been erected on
The whole package from start to finish is being undertaken by Alpha which involves power, plumbing and drainage and adding the little extras like the decks etc
The villa had been with its original family for 70+ years and it was with regret that they sold the house to a development company and it was left to Alpha to market the villa.
Owners were found and the villa was moved to its new site in the country.
The shifting involved moving the 411m2 house comprising of 5+ bedrooms, 2.5 bathrooms, sun room/study, several formal and casual living and dining areas, double garage with internal access.
The house was moved in 5 pieces and had to have the roof craned off as the height for powerlines was too high. Just like a jigsaw puzzle it was taken apart and then when it reached its destination the whole operation was reversed and the roof craned back on.
The ex Masterton Courthouse building was moved in 3 pieces by Alpha Specialised Movers, it took an hour to complete the journey & was a height of 8m. (Because the building is historical, Alpha didn’t want to pull it apart and dismantle it to get it down to five metres). Assistance with power board because of the over height load was needed including cherry pickers and men on ladders and on top of the building’s roof to assist getting it under the wires.
The Courthouse was built in 1883 and was Masterton’s 3rd Courthouse originally located in Lincoln Road (which is now Hall Street)
It remained in use until 1911 when it was then used as Government offices until the mid 1990’s.
It was then relocated to Te Ore Ore Road around 1995 and used as a residential dwelling.
It fell in to disrepair but has now been relocated once again into Morris Road, Masterton and will be completely overhauled and once again become a residential dwelling.
I will put up photos of the finished project as soon as they become available.